- Recharges 1,000 times faster than competing technology.
A new paper in the journal Nature describes lithium ion ‘microbatteries’ which make use of 3D electrodes to store power at densities 2,000 times higher than current technologies, and which can be recharged 1,000 times faster.
The team behind it says the technology can be easily scaled up for mass production.
In principle our technology is scalable all the way up to electronics and vehicles.
"You could replace your car battery with one of our batteries and it would be 10 times smaller, or 10 times more powerful. With that in mind you could jumpstart a car with the battery in your cell phone."
While the technology would prove useful in keeping up with ever-increasing power demands for portable technology such as tablets and smartphones, the team says safety issue will need to be addressed before it can be used in commercial products.
"The challenges are: scaling this up to manufacturing levels; developing a simpler fabrication route; and addressing safety issues.
"I’d want to know if these microbatteries would be more prone to the self-combustion issues that plagued lithium-cobalt oxide batteries which we’ve seen become an issue of concern with Boeing’s Dreamliner jets."
He said that in the test equipment only a microscopic amount of the liquid was used, making the risk of an explosion negligible - but if it were scaled up to large sizes the danger could become “significant”. Prof King acknowledged that safety was an issue due to the fact the current electrolyte was a combustible liquid.
However, he added that he soon planned to switch to a safer polymer-based electrolyte to address the issue.
The next step for the team will be to get it ready to be trialled as a power source for electronic equipment before the end of the year.
- 171gifer likes this
- skyrhyper16 reblogged this from 8bitfuture
- efficientlycounterproductive reblogged this from futurescope
- patrickdijusto reblogged this from futurescope
- johnshadows111 likes this
- tomjameson35 likes this
- marcellano likes this
- keesphoto likes this
- dermoosealini reblogged this from futurescope
- pouring-heart reblogged this from 8bitfuture
- shadowkinesis likes this
- ausetkmt reblogged this from emergentfutures
- geckos4life reblogged this from futurescope and added:
- trickstermonster likes this
- tommizzy reblogged this from 8bitfuture
- jimtaos33 likes this
- evmaker reblogged this from bseverns
- sublimeandthebeautiful reblogged this from futurescope
- bseverns reblogged this from emergentfutures
- techscinews reblogged this from 8bitfuture
- workthenwork reblogged this from 8bitfuture
- er7879 reblogged this from emergentfutures
- alliebigler likes this
- oliverames likes this
- dawood-kamdar likes this
- felixnightblood420 likes this
- moveunits likes this
- nando022 likes this
- ihateblueroses likes this
- abel0 likes this
- mclainify likes this
- jamiestraus likes this
- allthingssustainablyconsidered reblogged this from emergentfutures
- seath64 reblogged this from eidesis
- jettisonedpixels likes this
- elbowriot likes this
- leapmind reblogged this from emergentfutures
- leapmind likes this
- m4rco5t12 likes this
- mecworld reblogged this from futurescope
- eyesheartmind likes this
- otistheguineapig9 likes this
- youngfreeradical reblogged this from emergentfutures and added:
- adaptivespaces reblogged this from 8bitfuture
- hrothgar22 reblogged this from emergentfutures and added:
- craigjamesbailey reblogged this from emergentfutures
- massivelux reblogged this from emergentfutures and added:
- hewczuk reblogged this from emergentfutures
- hewczuk likes this